Sunday, January 24, 2010

#3

BOOBAGE
by Monica Gallagher

Sub-titled “Trials and Tribulations of Having Small Boobs,” this pink, black and white comic is exactly that. I bought this zine initially because as a 34A, I completely understand. She humorously illustrates the self-conscious behaviour of the average teen growing up flat-chested in a culture where our breasts (among other body parts) are over-sexualized, coveted in one way or another by both genders. The moral of the story however, is that us small-boobed girls are pretty hot too. A good read for any small chested woman.

NOTHING RHYMES #4
by Chelsea Creature

I have loved Chelsea’s zines and writing ever since reading this zine, which I got in a distro order sometime in the summer. It’s nice to find zines about happiness and loving life without dragging on and on about stuff no one really cares about. It starts off with a goodbye letter to Pittsburgh and goes into moving to Rhode Island, keeping positive, touches a little on body image and even gives a basic bookbinding tutorial!. Any time I read it, it leaves me feeling good inside. And, vintage drawings of knitting supplies and zine reviews are a nice touch to the completely typewritten booklet. This is definitely stored in my “favourite zines” box on the old milk crate shelf.

AUBADE #2 - I AM A GHOST
by Katie (aubadezine at gmail dot com)

I really like the way this zine flows together. And after reading Aubade #4 first (previously reviewed here), I noticed that Katie’s writing has definitely evolved over the years and has gotten better. It’s all a mish-mash of life experiences, thoughts on philosophy, places, learning French and tonnes of related and unrelated things in between. Her writing has a way of tugging at my heart, and I’ll definitely be looking out for more issues in the future.

MY THINGS, MY GRANDMOTHER’S THINGS
by Sarah Pinder

When I was thinking about what to say about this zine, I decided to try to think of some words to describe it first. I came up with “meaningful” and “nostalgic” and “thought provoking”. Sarah’s grandmother passes away and being discarded except for what she takes. It’s about material posessions, their meanings, what gives them meanings, remembering/forgetting . . . I found it to be a delightful read, although at one or two points I found it to drag slightly, but it wasn’t a big deal as it picks back up quickly. It really made me think of what will happen to my stuff when I die - which parts of my life will people choose to discard? Which parts will people keep, and why? What material things in our lives are really relevant? Overall, I liked it, she has a very interesting style of writing, the whole thing was clean and to the point.

4 comments:

  1. Boobage was great! Nothing Rhymes is one of my favourite zines ever, and Chelsea is super awesome. Good call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I wish Chelsea would come out with another zine already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for such a great review, and both of you for saying such nice things! and as a matter of fact, i am working on a new zine right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the review, chantal!

    ReplyDelete