Friday, February 5, 2010

#4 - Mini Zine Love!

I like mini zines a lot because they are little, cute, and simple. They get a direct message across if you need to, can provide a snippet of visual candy, or be a random goody in an envelope that comes from a distro or trade. Here are a few favourites from my collection.

MARKED FOR LIFE #5
Sage Adderly, Sweet Candy Distro

This little gem is written by Sweet Candy distro-runner Sage Adderly, also my fellow Farmville friend! It’s about self-censorship and anxiety, and I think all zinesters feel like what she talks about at some point. It’s one of those zines that gives you a “clicky moment” between what the author describes and your own personal experiences, and I felt really light and fluffy after reading it.

BOOBS AND THE MILK CART
by Taryn Hipp

I don’t remember how long ago I got this, but it’s one of the ones I kept for myself when I took over the duties of the NC Zine Library and donated about 90% of my collection. It’s a memoir of growing up with girlhate and discovering girllove through the Riotgrrrl Movement in the 90’s. Other than the spelling mistakes which I thought could’ve easily been caught, I thought it was really cute, well-worded and inspiring.

FIGHT BOREDOM #2.5
by Amber Forrester

This mini zine is cutely printed on various fluorescent coloured paper and done in typewriter and collage. To Fight Boredom, every day is something different and goes with a matching illustration and image. I also always found the cover to be intriguing. Somehow I have two of these, and I have no idea why. Not complaining.



I have a mini-zine called "One Shot" still available in my Etsy Shop. I'm pretty sure most of you know that, but I thought it was worth mentioning again.

No comments:

Post a Comment